Monday, May 6, 2013

Winter - Poem

This is the poem I wrote that was read at the funeral of a very dear friend, whom I still can't believe is gone.

Winter's cold hands held on, refusing to let go
We thought we missed the sun but only because we didn't know
That winter kept you safe in it's fluffy white embrace
I wish winter was still here to wipe the tears from my face
This loss is too much to bear when we cannot find the reason
Oh how we've come to love you though we knew you but for a season
You were young and full of life, beloved by everyone
You were a great friend, a great man, a great brother, and an especially great son
We'll miss all of the jokes we shared, we'll miss the dimples from your smile
We'll miss your obsession with Oakley sunglasses and the band shirts that were your style
We'll miss the memories that we've made and we'll always hold them dear
And in that way we'll always have you and always keep you near
Though we may wish to go back to winter to take away this pain
Though we may wish to go back to winter to have you here again
We know you'd want us to look forward, knowing this goodbye is only for awhile
You'll be waiting for us at the pearly gates to greet us with your smile


- Mandi Lynn © 2013

2 comments:

  1. Mandi Lynn, so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you are able to remember your friend and memorialize your friendship through this touching poem. Glad to see you writing again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you A Long. Poetry is a great way to get the emotions out and I'm glad that I was able to use it to honor him in even the smallest way. I'm glad to be writing again too, and to be able to share my work with my friends. :)

    ReplyDelete